Bovano of Cheshire
copper & enamel sculptures
History of Bovano of Cheshire began in 1952, when working alone in the basement of his home in Cheshire, Connecticut, artist Jim Bower began experimenting with powdered glass fused to small copper plates. His playful approach resulted in early designs applied to small glass enamel plates, which were sold under the name Bower Enamels. It wasn't long before Jim met John Bonsignor who realized the potential of developing a much wider array of glass-enameled products. John moved the studio to the upper floor of an old foundry building in Cheshire and began a passionate pursuit of copper enameling. The name "Bovano" was coined from the first two letters of the last name of each of the three original owners: Bonsignor, Van Leight and Noden. In 1964 David Flood partnered with John to continue the growth of Bovano of Cheshire, and in 1975 David became owner of Bovano of Cheshire. Growth of the company continued beyond three decades as an ever-widening range of high quality wall and table sculptures were crafted by hand. The old foundry building still houses the enameling studio and Bovano Home Gallery. Dave's son Jim Flood, who has been President since 1987, continues to carry forth the Bovano of Cheshire tradition of bringing fine heirloom quality enamel sculptures to you.